Re: Squeaks

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>
Subject: Re: Squeaks
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 16:14:12 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shane F. Ingate wrote:

> Whoaaaaa!  Way to go Ken!  I've had this squeek in our TR6
> for 6 years, and it bothered the heck out of me.  ...
> I was going nuts!

> But it never occurred to me that it was the hood prop!

> When I read your post, the light went off.  Ding!  Some electricians
> tape around the hood prop, and no mo' squeaks!

Shane,

  I have the *exact* same problem on my '74 TR6 -- if you had
asked about unknown squeaks from the front, I'd have been glad
to tell you of this one.  It turns out that it is pretty hard
to track down, because it is hard to localize noises from the
front of the car while driving, as the windshield blocks the
true source of the sound.

 I've found that the electricians tape (yes, that was my
*exact* fix, too) is good for about 500 miles, and then it
wears through, and the problem is back.  Of course, a new
wrapping of electrical tape is good for another 500 miles
or so...

  I've simply added it the "electrical tape on the bonnet prop
rod" to one of my regular maintenance items! :-) :-)

--ken

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |