Wire to disk wheel switching

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wire to disk wheel switching
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 1997 12:41:18 -0400
Has anyone found a way to easily switch back and forth between wire wheel
adapter splines and disk wheels?

I have 48 spoke wires, on my TR3A, which I will not use for autocross (too
weak.)  Yet, I really don't want to go back to disc wheels or mags, like
minilites, on a daily basis.  I really like the look of the wire wheels.  I
would like to be able to run occasional autocrosses for fun, so a seperate
set of ordinary steel wheels would be fine.

I know that TRF, Moss & Vicky Brit, now carry a splined, minilite type
wheel, but they are about $300 each ($275 ea. from BPC). NFW, not even
close.  I can't even afford to think about those wheels (+ tires.)

Two possible solutions:

1.   I have heard about shouldered lug nuts, which would engage the full
length of the shortened stud.  Does anyone have any knowledge of these and a
source?

2.   I have seen flanges similiar to the flange on the splined hub, but with
additional bolts for the wheel lugs instead of the spline.  Whitney has them
for VW's; do these exist for TR's?

Or the easy way.  Does anybody have a set of those, really nice, splined
minilites that are just taking up too much room in their garage.  I could
help out by taking them off your hands.  Heck, I'll even come pick them up
or pay the freight!  :-)

Thanks in advance, from a frustrated former autocrosser who wants to have
his cake and eat it too.

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A