Which Paint System - (Long)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Which Paint System - (Long)
From: ron botting <rcb2@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 12:36:04 -0400
Well team,  I'm approaching decision time regarding which paint system to
use on my '57 TR3A.
I have still not decided weather or not I'll simply Sand Blast and Prime
with DP50 Epoxy Primer, or have the front and Rear Tub Sections Hot Tanked
at Redi-Strip ($$). Talking around town at various shops many favor
sandblasting for economy reasons. I'm leaning this way because my sheet
metal is very poor and requires a lot of re-work, I'm not certain that the
final product will justify the expense or percived benifits of chemical
stripping. One must Rationalize the expense associated with the total rust
removal provided by chemical stripping vs abrasion removal which is not as
effective for inner seams etc, followed with an epoxy primer to (seal) any
remaining corrosion from the elements. In all fairness, it is not likely
that our restored vehicles will be subject to anywhere near the degree of
elements and corrosion as they were subjected to, prior to restoration. For
the record, I have Chemically stripped my chassis and sealed it with Por 15,
but as I suggest  I'm not yet certain If I'll employ  the same system on my
sheet metal.

Thoughts. Comments, Suggestions ?

Secondly I would like to solicit input on which paint systems are most
favored by fellow Triumph restorers.
The following briefly summarizes my limited understanding of various paint
systems available, I would appreciated any input, and/or additional input on
the descriptions and typical applications  / instructions of each.

--- Acrylic Lacquer

Lacquer based Paint System, Mixes with Lacquer, Dries quickly from top
surface down, must be sanded and polished, dries brittle, used as an early
paint system, easy for home shop application.

--- Enamel

More difficult to apply for home shop application, (but not so difficult to
exclude), Takes longer to dry than Lacquer based paints, Dries from bottom
surface up, (cures). May optionally be colour sanded and buffed, More
durable than lacquer.

--- Acrylic Urethane ??

--- Polyurethane ??

        Durability, Chip resistant, takes longer to longer to dry,

--- Polyurethane Acrylic Enamel (PPG) ??

-- Acrylic Urethane Enamel (Dupont) ??

        Similar to Polyurethane,

TIA
rcb