On the road again and on the list again

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: On the road again and on the list again
From: dynamic@transport.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 1997 07:13:11 +0100
Hi there:

Back in February my internet service was terminated, and until now I wasn't
able to re-up.  My '73 TR6 at the time was still sitting, and had been for
basically 6 years.  Well, our business has done well this year, and I was
able to sink what little money was still required into getting the TR6
going again.  I was concerned about the effects of sitting for such a long
period.  But, after changing all the water hoses & fuel hoses and
overhauling the wheel cylinders and calipers and the clutch hydraulics, and
a variety of other very simple jobs, I finally got it fired up again.  Not
without a little trouble, mind you...

At first it wouldn't fire at all when I cranked it over.  Well, I hadn't
expected it to light right off after 6 years of course.  It did have spark,
and it did have fuel, so right away I wondered if maybe I had connected the
plug wires to the distributor incorrectly... I had done it by memory... six
year old memory... "Lessee...which terminal goes to number one?  I think
it's THIS one."  Well, I had been wrong.  I was a terminal off.  I
straightened that out and it lit up immediately!  Driving it around the
neighborhood, I couldn't get any power above about 2000 revs... right then
it would start missing like crazy and wouldn't rev any higher.  Sounded
like fuel, and sure enough, I took the pistons out of the carbs to inspect
them and found that the rear carb's needle was coated heavily with some
sort of green gunk.  I cleaned it off and reinstalled it and it was fixed.
Also, the radiator would have to come out again, as it had sprung a leak.
When I got the radiator back in the car and ran the motor again, the water
pump began leaking.  Fortunately, I had a spare (new) on the shelf.
Believe it or else, I had NEVER had to change the water pump on this car,
and of course I was VERY pleased to find what an easy operation it was!
That was the last thing I had to do, aside from maybe some rear brake
adjustment and the like.  I've been driving it since early April, and it
has been running quite well.  I haven't even balanced the carbs yet.  It
takes me out to my favorite fishing hole, which is about 35 miles away,
quite frequently, and never threatens to strand me.  It seems to have
started where it left off 6 years ago in terms of reliability.

I am a little worried about the fuel pump, though.  It sat for so long
dry... would this have a tendency to weaken the diaphragm?  How long-lived
are these AC pumps?  Would you all recommend me carrying a rebuild kit with
me, or do you think that the pump's failure is not all that likely?

By the way... who among you are planning to attend the 17th Annual
All-Triumph Drive-In this August here in Bend, Oregon?  I'll see you
there!!  If anyone needs more information, let me know.

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6