Re: Time to paint! Oh boy...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Time to paint! Oh boy...
From: richard bacon <rick@vir.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 10:14:02 -0400 (edt)
>Rick,
Don't let the paint shop put a bead of sealer at the crack between
>the fenders and body AFTER the fenders have been fitted! It seems to
>drive good painters/bodymen crazy to have the body seams exposed, but I
>learned the hard (expensive) way that the factory knew that the body flex
>is so great on these cars that cracks in the paint soon appear at the
>seams if a sealer is used.

Phew! That's what my bodyman reccomended. I told him about the other TR's I
saw with cracked paint. He suggested it probably was filled with body
filler but the flex in the sealer would resolve the problem.

What do you suggest? Painting the fender, THEN installing it? Anybody out
there with suggestions/experience?

What's this I've been reading about a black rear valance? Mine is body
color... I've seen TR's with black valances, I just thought it was a
desperate attempt to cover the rust...

Thanks!

rick