Re: Originality research

To: Dave Fain <KC3565L@sprintmail.com>
Subject: Re: Originality research
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 11:22:17 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 26 May 1997, Dave Fain wrote:

> > From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
> > Subject: Re: Originality research
> >
> > Continuing on the lighting theme, around 1964 the Spitfire 4 gained a
> > larger, plastic-lens front turn signal lamp for the U.S. market. This
> > upgrade roughly paralleled that on the TR4. Strangely, though, despite the
> > fact that U.S. cars went to amber parking lamp/turn signals in front in
> > 1963, the front turn signal lens on most all Spitfire 4 and Mk. 2 models
> > remained white.
>
> Same thing on the GT6, although Thomason's book DOES have
> several photos of RHD Spitfire4 Mk2's and RHD GT6 MkI's with the
> small beehive turn indicator lenses in amber.

I guess I misspoke a bit here. I meant that U.S.-manufactured cars
generally went to amber front turn signals in 1963. Imports did not
necessarily follow suit, Triumphs being a good example of that.

> It seems that only North American [Mk.1 GT6s] had the big
> white front lenses.  Very early home market cars had the small
> beehive front lenses in white.  Richard Newton's Triumph Buyer's
> Guide (I know, I know....no flames please) has a bunch of
> what appear to be "period" photos (women with bouffant hair
> styles) and early advertising copy of both American and home
> market cars with both amber and white small lenses.

Again, I think this might be a good example of pre-production prototypes
being used for photo shoots for the brochures.

> go bonkers trying to decide what is "correct" and what
> is not.  Unless you were there when the car rolled out of
> the factory, I think it would be impossible to tell.

Sometimes, but not always, the factory spare parts catalogues do a
reasonably good job of documenting these differences. Of course, the
different parts often were not illustrated, but the text may well describe
"U.S.A.-only" parts.

> Maybe I will put some big amber lenses on the front of
> my GT6 MkI to confuse everybody? :-)

Why not?

> > one-piece, all-amber lens. Of course, none of that is shown in most
> > Spitfire books. (Apologies to Thomassen [sp?] if his book documents these
> > changes on U.S. Spitfires, as I've not seen that book to study thoroughly
> > - -- yet!)
>
> He has photos of amber/white and all-amber lenses but doesn't
> discuss the differences.  I will bring my copy to VTR if you
> want to see it.

Sure, love to see it! I'll buy it someday.... :-)

> Has anybody documented the fact that the windscreen wipers
> on the GT6 MkI (and possibly Spitfires) were either left
> or right handed, depending on whether the car was LHD or
> RHD?  All the GT6 Plus's I have seen seem to have wipers
> that pivot from the right, regardless of whether they are
> LHD or RHD.  Am I correct in this assumption?  I noticed
> this when my car (KC3565L) was parked next to a Plus.
> Newton (I know....) has a photo of what is allegedly a
> Spitfire Mk3 with the wipers pivoting from the right
> side.  Thomason notes that the left hand wiper after
> FD30784 was mounted further outboard on RHD Spitfire
> Mk3's.  Was there a similar change on North American
> Mk3's?  Just one more thing for you to worry about,
> Andy.

Well, this one might be easier. I'm pretty sure wipers were always
oriented towards RHD or LHD as appropriate, regardless of model. However,
I don't have that much hands-on experience with Mk.1 GT6s. As far as
spacing between wipers is concerned, perhaps the same change was made to
Spits and GT6s as was made to Heralds around that time in order to
"commonise" wiper gear among those and other Triumph models (anything to
save a buck/pound or two).

...or not!? :-)

--Andy