FW: Help - English phone number

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Help - English phone number
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 12:30:50 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:  Admin request: /^subject:\s*help\b/i]

     Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 18:03:04 -0400
     From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
     Subject: Help - English phone number

Hello English listers,

I received a garbled message on a home phone answering tape,
from a John Sanders, who must have got my name from this list,
although I can't recall seeing him on here.  My problem is,
since I cannot understand all the numbers in the message, I'm
having no luck returning the call.  What I have so far is :
01 773 550 120  and it may be that the 01 should be 011 for the
international access code.  Neither of those goes through the
phone company switchboard on this end, though.
So I tried 011 (international access) 44 (for UK) and the 773
and remaining digits.  No luck.  Then 011 44 71 (for London City
access code) and the rest...still no luck.

Could someone across the pond give me an example of what a correct
phone number should look like, as in number of digits, following
the 011 44 which I assume should at least get me from here to UK ?

Or, even better, does someone recognize Mr. Sanders, and if so,
please have him try to call me at (US area code) 937 698 5015  .

Thanks for any help,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc   basket case