Distributor - Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distributor - Spitfire
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 12:54:13 -0700
Ross Vincenti wrote:
--snip--
1)  Bottom thrust washer was broken into 3 bits.
2) Could not drive out rivet from drive dog (even ground off the little
head
with dremel - no luck, it's stuck).
3) I want to stick with stock unit because Mallory and others do not
have
the mech. tach drive off the side which is needed for mech. tach in
dash.
--unsnip--

Ross - I "drilled" out the pin on the drive dog on mine.  It took a
little while to set up a jig to hold it nice and straight, but I tried
the "grind, pound, grind more, pound harder, need bigger hammer, etc."
routine with no luck.  Drill it out and replace it with a "roll pin of
suitable size.  A whole lot easier to get out in the future.

--snip--
Options - (a) Try to scrounge up a replacement from Dick Berger or
others,
(b) send to British Parts Northwest to exchange for rebuilt unit - $144
and
not clear that they carry the old D200 unit on an exchange basis (maybe
they
will rebuild for me?) (c) send to John Kipping Spares in the UK for
rebuild
 - about $100 U.S. not including shipping (figure another $25 each way -
ouch) and turn around time is 4 weeks minimum putting me into mid-June
before car can be driven again.
--unsnip--

Did you ever call Joe Baba in Fresno (209 445-9722) about the one he
had?  Was he one of the expensive ones?  I know he's got a used one, but
I don't know the price.  If you want me to contact him for you, just let
me know via e-mail.

good luck,
Peter Ficklin
'64 Spit