TR3A Cooling System? Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3A Cooling System? Problem
From: spcaudit@blazenet.net (Keith White)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 15:21:52 -0700
I have a '58 TR3A (TS25376L) and I'm getting oil into my cooling system.  When
I drained my cooling system,
there must have been a quart of oil in it!  The engine block and cylinder head
are rebuilt units with
about 1,000 miles on them.  A compression test of the cylinders indicated level
readings across all four
cylinders.  There does not appear to be water mixing with the oil.

Not being mechanically inclined, I've been told that the problem is likely the
head gasket or figure 8 gaskets.
 I plan on pulling the head this weekend.  Before I do this, I am on the right
track?  Is the head gasket a
likely cause for this problem, or am I up against potentially greater repairs?
Any suggestions would be
GREATLY appreciated.

Keith White
Mechanicsburg, PA