Re: Voltage Stabilizer

To: WDKLINE@aol.com
Subject: Re: Voltage Stabilizer
From: Paul Thompson <paul@btcase.bt.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 97 10:22:36 BST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

> The temp and fuel gauges on my TR4 both quit working.  Checking the schematic
> in Bentleys shows that they both get power from the voltage stabilizer.
>  According to the book, the voltage stabilizer puts out a constant 10 volts
> and the gauges are bi-metal devices - the senders flow current according to
> either coolant temp or the float position in the tank.  I ordered a new
> voltage stabilizer since its a sealed unit and the trouble shooting method is
> "compare to a known unit".  I bench checked the new unit and found it only
> puts out 4.8 volts.  With the new unit installed, the gas gauge maxes out at
> half full.  This makes sense it the gauge is looking for 10 volts.  Not being
> fond of the random replacement of parts on a repetitive basis.....
>
> Anybody have any experience with this problem?  Could be as simple as VB
> sending a bad/wrong part but you can't talk to anyone who knows anything at
> VB.  I'm begining to believe Lucas truly is the Prince of Darkness.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
> 62 TR4

This sounds familiar. I had the same problem with my TR4 last year. I
replaced the voltage stabiliser with a new part from Moss UK. The
output voltage from this was 4.5v constant (no switching as you see
on the original parts). This makes the gauges read half what they
should. This part is incorrect.

I had three replacements from Moss and spoke to there electrical
"expert". This did no good what so ever. So I did some investigation
myself. To cut a very long story short it turns out that the new
stabilisers are all made with solid state regulators (I took one
apart to prove it). This is fine but there are two problems
with this new part.

1) Moss were selling 6v MG stabilisers under the wrong part number
2) Solid state devices can not work propery in both -ve earth and
+ve earth situtions. TR4s were all +ve earth (mine still is).
If you try out the stbiliser on the bench and try out + & - ve
you will see different output voltages. Moss are selling the
same part number for TR4s and 6s this is wrong. Try telling
them that!

The solution to this was to contact a supplier who has some idea
about customer service. Enter Niel Revington of Revington TR.
After speaking to Niel he contacted the suppliers and verified
the problem. He also commisioned some new original stabilisers
to be made so he has a reliable part to sell.

In the meantime I found some NOS stabilisers at an AutoJumble
and fitted one of those its been perfect ever since.

I still managed to come out of this out of pocket to Moss who
will not refund the postage costs even when they send you a part
that is incorrect and it is thier fault. Needless to say I will
do as little as possible business with them in the future.

Paul.