Re: cam timing

To: "Matt Barre" <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: cam timing
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 15:44:29 -0700
Cc: "Triumph Guys" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

----------
> From: Matt Barre <mbarre@juno.com>
> To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: cam timing
> Date: Friday, April 04, 1997 7:17 PM
>
> Here is one for the list but I am afraid I already know the answer.
>
> I put a new cam in my TR3 motor and timed it per the instructions in the
> red shop manual for unknown timing.  After everything was buttoned up
> and I began cleaning up I came across the cam data sheet ( I know I
> should have checked it first) and found that it isn't exactly stock.  It
> is an ERSON 260 w/ 260 duration vice 250 stock) and per the instructions
> on the data sheet I have the cam retarded 16 degrees.  My mechanic
> helping me said it would be fine as is - the only sacrifice would be
> extreme top end but the idle would be better.  I don't intend to run the
> car very hard.

Matt-
This could be the start of a new adventure...just how late a cam timing can
be tolerated by an ex-tractor motor ??
Good thing you don't want to run this car "very hard" as I think anything
over an idle (if it starts) will be too much. An old hot rodders trick is
to retard the cam timing on a serious cam so that you can run it as a
grocery getter. However, even on a big lump of Motown iron we're talkin
about 4 to 6 degrees. At 16 degrees, if it runs at all, its gonna have its
doors blown off by 4 year olds on three wheelers at the stop light drags.

> I believe that after a good nights sleep the proper course will be to
> pull the pulley, timing cover, cam gear and retime the cam.  Sound
> right?
>
> TIA,
> MBarre
I think you have seen the light here, better to do it now (hopefully you
haven't put the nose on yet).

Wait ...was that 2 degrees advance or retard with the gear on this way ?
       Nick in Nor Cal