Re: More on them nasty thrust washers....

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>, triumph club <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More on them nasty thrust washers....
From: johnhaynes@som-uky.campus.mci.net (John Haynes)
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 10:18:02 -0500 (EST)
At 05:54 PM 4/4/97 +0000, Paul Burr wrote:
>Fellow listers; I'm looking for an opiion on thrust washers.
> Here's the deal. I knew that the thrust washers were toast when I
>bought the TR6. The car still ran nice.
>I"ve got a nice short block that I'm building up to replace the engine
>that's in the car. So far so good.
>Due to financial restraints (yeah, you know those guys, too!) I'm going
>to try and use the motor in the car for this summer.
>I dropped the pan and rear main bearing cap today. One thrust washer in
>the pan, the other nowhere in sight! Also, a small fish hook on some
>stainless wire! I ain't makin' this stuff up! Looks like the DPO made a
>1/2 arsed attempt at repair.
>The rear of the crank and the rear of the bearing cap had @.020" ground
>off, with some nice gooves. The front side looks fine.
>So the big question is, am I wasting my time putting new thrust washers
>in? I'm only trying to get another @1500 miles out of the engine.
>I'm inclined to put some new ones in, since it's apart anyway.
> Anybody got any experience in how long a cobbled up fix like this will
>last?
>Also will a different #4 mail bearing cap work for the short term?
>Or, rewelding and machining the current one as a temporary fix?
>Anybody try these, and what kind of results?

Hello Paul
   It is not a good idea to piss into the wind. However if you insist. The
original #4 cap must be used, the new one would require a line bore job. Buy
standard thrust washers, mount them and measure the end float. Fabricate a
shim the thicknes of the clearance minus .00l5. Shape it into the half
circle shape of the thrust. Drill the bad side of the cap, shim and thrust
with two 1/8" holes 3/8" deep into the cap. Fabricate two 1/8" pins into the
cap and file them so that they do not stand proud of the thrust. It would be
ok to mill the old cap first, but why get fancy.
   You should get a few thousand miles out of it before it drops the thrust
agin. Check the end float every fill-up by moving the front crank pulley
with a pry bar .  You will be able to feel any dramatic  changes.
Sam Haynes
TR3 Original owner
TR 6
Tiger>