Re: Grappling with gearbox (Spit)

To: bkgallry@crl.com
Subject: Re: Grappling with gearbox (Spit)
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 01:22:43 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
bkgallry@crl.com wrote:

> I knew it was too good to last. 200 miles on my newly acquired '77 Spitfire
> 1500 and I'm getting voodoo noises.
> Symptom : Light grinding noise in 1st gear. Happens only at very slow
> speed. Noise is present whether clutch is engaged or disengaged. No noise
> in any other gears.

This may only be from the previous owner being a bit harsh going from
reverse to first.  I'm going to suggest something the purists will wail
about. Drain about a pint of fluid from the transmission (presuming it's
topped up). Find four or five ounces of molybdenum disulfide-based oil
and dump it in the trans. And then, given your location, add a pint of
STP. And then run it with the noise for a while and see if you can live
with it. <g>

 > I'd really appreciate a diagnosis and prognosis from you wrench
surgeons
> out there ! What can I expect ? How serious..? terminal? How much will I be
> contributing to the repair shop owners next vacation ? ( I think this may
> be beyond my tune up and maintain capabilities ).

While the symptoms haven't been described with absolute distinction,
it's seems to be annoying, rather than terminal.  How much you want to
give to your local repairman for his vacation or his yacht is entirely
up to you.... <g> I'd give him less that you're willing, however. <g>
Look at it this way--if you take it in to your mechanic, saying, "the
transmission is making noises," is he going to fix just what he thinks
is wrong, and then give you a discount on an R&R of the trans, because
he didn't have to fix much inside it?  Nah.... Start looking for a
low-priced spare and run the existing one until it sounds like rocks in
a cement mixer.  Then hand your mechanic your spare trans and pay for an
R&R and no more.  Geez, what must a British car mechanic get in Marin
County? More than you're making in a book store, I guarantee that,
though I heartily applaud your career choice. <g>  Speaking of which,
have any Proust first editions around? Retirement present for a friend
in Cambridge, MA....
Cheers.

--
My other Triumph doesn't run, either....