spit transmission

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: spit transmission
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 20:06:30 -0600
fellow Triumph enthusiasts:
I've gotten my clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line replaced, works great-
before I replace the transmission tunnel, carpet, fascia, etc., I want to
do whatever else I ought to now-
1) I noticed that I could look into the end of the gearbox extension
directly at the bottom of the gearshift lever mechanism, i.e., there was a
wide open hole open in the back end of the gearbox extension just above the
prop shaft flange that looked like it ought to have a cap- sure enough,
Bentley describes the "blanking cap", both TRF and Moss catalogs tag it
with part number in illustration, but it's not in their price lists, where
can I get one? is some sort of grease/lubrication appropriate for the
gearshift lever/selector shaft?
2) other than checking gearbox oil, since my u-joints don't seem to be
making any noise, the transmission seems OK (only driven in local
neighborhood, haven't had it in 4th gear yet), and the speedometer seems to
work, is there anything else I should do before buttoning up?
thanks
Joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC