TR-6 carb question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-6 carb question
From: Steve Sutton <ssutton@ridgecrest.ca.us>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 19:10:17 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8596905851ssutton@mail.ridgecrest.ca.us>
Posted-date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 19:11:43 -0800 (PST)
Greetings,

      I have discovered something about the Z-S carbs on my 74 TR-6 and I
cannot find any reference to this particular item or what's it function is.  On
the front carb, the item described by TRF (p 73, plate BA, item # 37) as a
'Vent Lever' (and what the idle speed screw screws into);  when at idle it
rests against a brass plunger, when opening the throttle, thereby moving the
'vent lever',  the brass plunger moves out of the carb body 3/8" or so (the
plunger is spring loaded).  The rear carb does has the vent lever but not the
brass plunger.  Anyone have any idea what this is?  I think it might be
connected to the float chamber vent?

    I have discovered that when my car is hot, if the brass plunger is pushed
in, the car will stumble and die (which is what the car is doing).  It does not
exhibit this behavior when cold.  How much this plunger opens/closes is
adjustable by a stop screw, but the procedure is not documented in any of the
reference material I have (Bentley, Hanyes, Z-S carb manual) Anyone know how to
adjust it,?

Thanks for the help.

Steve Sutton
74 1/2 TR-6 - daily driver!