TR6 fuel starvation

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR6 fuel starvation
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 21:01:03 -0600
Ok listers, I'm stumped and I'm coming to you all for help. I've got a '76
TR6 that I bought from the original owner last year. I've been daily
driving it while sorting it out.  He had it parked for a number of years on
two different occasions and it only had  34,000 miles on the clock. Now has
38,000.  It had a half tank of evaporated gas, rust in the fuel lines, and
an incorrectly installed distributor which kept him from being able to
start it.  The timing adjustment clamp had slipped off its perch, pushing
the distributor up a little, and the resultant extra play allowed the
distributor to flip 180 degrees every time you hit the starter. This was a
bugger to figure out as it's not at all visible. one time the car would
start, I'd shut down to make some adjustments and it wouldn't start again.

Anyhow, I removed the tank, took it to the radiator shop for an acid wash,
took it home and upon inspection decided to acid wash it again (muriatic
acid) and reinstalled it.  I flushed the lines, rebuilt the fuel pump and
rebuilt the carbs.  Got it running but it continued to have an unexplained
miss. This miss appears to be caused solely by fuel starvation at the lower
rpm range only.  It starts out with a full fuel filter, but the fuel pump
can't keep up with the demand at lower rams (up to 2500.) Some days it runs
fine others it sucks. For a while it was vapor locking, but I solved that
by getting a little more fuel through with new lines and pump. The vapor
lock was from too little fuel in the line (me-thinks)

So I replaced all the lines, bought a new fuel pump, rechecked the tank,
and it still starves for fuel.  I'm tired of running at 3000 rpm just to
keep fuel in the pump. My questions are, what else can cause this,
something in the carbs? Presently I have the vent line to the carbon
canister open so the tank is vented to the atmosphere.  This made no
difference. Can the lobe on the camshaft be worn smaller and it's not
getting enough oomph? What else can cause this.  I'm thinking about buying
and hooking up an electric pump just to test this idea. Any ideas
appreciated.
TIA
Bob in Austin