Thrust washer fitment - TR3

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thrust washer fitment - TR3
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:15:03 -0500
I am having some difficulty in obtaining a consistant gap when I reinstall
my new thrust washers.  The old washers had a gap of 0.011 to the crank,
which is unacceptable.  I purchased three sizes of new washers in std, 0.005
and 0.008 over, knowing I might have to mix and match to get the proper gap.

My problem is that when I install only the top thrust washer I can gap out
to a perfect 0.004, with a std in the front and a 0.005 oversized in the
back.  The back gets the thicker one because it takes more abuse when the
clutch is depressed.  When I add the lower washers, the gap goes almost to
zero.  I have checked the thicknesses of the thrust washers and they are
correct and symetrical.

One plausible explaination I heard from a Healy/Jaguar mechanic was that the
bearing cap and block portion of the bearing surfaces for the thrust washer
were machined seperately and may have different overall thicknesses, as is
true for healy's and Jag's.  Is this the situation for the TR's also?

I can custom place all four pieces by thickness, but I want to be sure this
is correct and not masking another situation I may have.  Anybody ever seen
this?

BTW - this is critical as I will soon pass the March 31 "I promise honey..."
deadline for getting the car back on the road.

Thanks.

Jack Brooks