Re: That TR6 rack bushing post

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: That TR6 rack bushing post
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:18:15 -0500
Hello Jim and Chad,

 >Chad,
 >I replaced mine using "c"clamps while the engine was out. If anyone on
 >this list has actually seen the tool you mention, they have yet to speak
 >up.
 >
 >Jim Davis
 >Fortson, GA
 >'75 TR6  CF38690UO
 >'75 TR6  CF37325U

TRF's TR-250 book shows a picture of the spreader tool, it just looks
like a threaded rod with brackets on the ends that mate up to the
bushing clamps.

I also used C clamps, and a drill bit between the metal parts to set
the gap between the flanges at 1/8 inch.  This is described in the
Haynes manual, Chapter 11, paragraph 17; the C clamp is useful to
keep the bottom locating plate in position against the frame, while
compressing the top U shaped bracket, allowing you to torque the
Nylock nuts on the U-bolt to 15 ft lbs with your third hand.

Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio