Re: That TR6 rack bushing post

To: "The Stretz's" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: That TR6 rack bushing post
From: Glenn Franco <gfranco@provide.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 23:07:18 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The Stretz's wrote:

> Last week I posted a question regarding TR6 steering rack bushings.  I
> recieved 2 replies, both curious of my findings, but none from anyone
> with experience in this area.  The reasons for this could be:
>
> 1. No one has ever replaced their bushings before(if this was the case
> there would be no more TR6's because everybody would have crashed and
> died going around that last corner)or....
> 2.My post wasn't seen because most folks potentially interested deleted
> right past it trying to get rid of all the TRF ranting.
>
> If anyone has any knowledge regarding the following, I'd sure like to
> pick your brain!
> Thanks, Chad
>
> There was a small thread on replacing TR6 steering rack bushings
> recently, so my apologies for not asking more when the opportunity
> arrived.  Someone mentioned using needle-nose or similar Vice Grip
> pliers to hold the steering rack mounts in place before tightening.
> ????? I noticed that TRF lists a tool for this (sorry don't have the
> part no. handy) but I'm unsure as to proper placement, method, etc.  Is
> the spreading tool completly necessary?  I do know that simply replacing
> the bushings without compressing them results in a rack that still
> moves.  This seems to be a common repair, so any help from fellow Six
> enthusiasts would be great!
> TIA
> Chad Stretz
> 73 TR6 CF7511U -about a week and a half from having frame repairs
> finished-THANK GOD-

Chad

I'm in the process of building a prepared autocrosser out of one of my
sixes and have upgraded the rack bushings and hardware to full aluminum.
I replaced all the hardware with the fixed blocks/not much lateral
movement with these.

My 71 with rubber bushings allow my rack to move all over and I have two
urethane bushes from British Parts Nortwest to do the job.

Not sure of what you are asking. I did have to move the U bolt and
hardware outboard as possible to take up any lateral motion in the
steering rack.

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6