RE: Oil in su dashpot

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, troutster@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Oil in su dashpot
From: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 11:26:53 -0600
Subject: Oil in su dashpot

Rodney wrote:
>I believe the theroy goes: the thinner oil will allow for better
>acceleration.

Personally I have never noticed any difference in warm weather but in cold
thinner oil starts up easier.

>I have recently been told to use automatic tranmission fluid, does >anyone
have experiance with this?

    I have switched back and forth between the winter and summers in the
past. When I lived in Wichita Falls, TX (farthest North I ever plan on
living!) I ran transmission fluid in the cold months. The car started up
easier with a thin oil. Also my car stayed outside back then as well. As
soon as the weather started to get warm I went back to 30 wt.
     When I ran 30 wt. in the cold, after the car started and warmed up the
heavier oil was not a problem. It was just getting the thing running long
enough to warm up without flooding out.
  Nowdays I don't screw around with it and just run 30 wt. all year around
and park in the garage. I think it all depends on how cold it is where you
live. Austin is not known for it's cold weather so it's not an issue.
    I think in the long run you will find out that with dashpot oil there
will be hundreds of opinions and  everyone will have there own preference
depending on the conditions on where they live.
     Good luck and I saw an awsome Emerald Green Stag in New Orleans, makes
me want to go out and get one!
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
71 Spitfire MKIV FK9365L