TR6 rack bushings (again)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 rack bushings (again)
From: "The Stretz's" <ccfarm@tranquility.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 06:41:59 -0600
There was a small thread on replacing TR6 steering rack bushings
recently, so my apologies for not asking more when the opportunity
arrived.  Someone mentioned using needle-nose or similar Vice Grip
pliers to hold the steering rack mounts in place before tightening.
????? I noticed that TRF lists a tool for this (sorry don't have the
part no. handy) but I'm unsure as to proper placement, method, etc.  Is
the spreading tool completly necessary?  I do know that simply replacing
the bushings without compressing them results in a rack that still
moves.  This seems to be a common repair, so any help from fellow Six
enthusiasts would be great!
TIA
Chad Stretz
73 TR6 CF7511U -about a week and a half from having frame repairs
finished-THANK GOD-