Repairing 4-cyl block

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Repairing 4-cyl block
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 08:29:59 -0500 (EST)
I finally got down to the casting on my old 4A engine.  It was as bad as I
expected: all 4 thrust washers lying in the pan and the surfaces where the
washers usually sit considerably ground down (think about having a quarter
inch of crankshaft end play!).

Has anyone out there tried to fix this problem by welding and machining,
or is it just not worth it?  The block is what I'd particularly like to
salvage, it has overbored liners and relatively new pistons.  I figure the
only surface in the block needing work would be the upper rear thrust
face, since I could find a replacement bearing cap and have the whole
thing line bored.

Input?

John Paul Middlesworth
1966 TR4A