Re: Transmission Problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Transmission Problems
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:16:55 -0500
Cc: troutster@hotmail.com
> This was sent to the wrong address, rather than triumphs@autox.team.net
>
> mjb.
> - ----

    ~snip~

    tsk,tsk,tsk.  Rodney, make sure you send to:

                triumphs@autox.net

       NOT triumphs-owner@autox.net (digest users know what I'm talk-
ing about),  or else you'll end up like Nolan Perry, one foot out
the door, and the other on a banana peel...

Enough teasing, you wrote:

> I have been trying to rebuild my Stag transmission, it's
> much the same as a TR6 tranny. The problem is that the
> layshaft is really stuck in there. It is supposed to simply
> slip out once the secureing piece is removed, so says the
> Repair Operation Manual. Does anyone have experiance with
> this problem?

Rodney,

   Now that I am an "expert" at the TR 4-6 gearbox, I thought I'd
take this on.  The TR gear box has a weak roller bearing set-up
on its layshaft.  That is what went on mine.  The rearward one
on mine was so wasted, that it was gone.  The layshaft is of a small-
er diameter than the inside of the layshaft gear, and what had
happened, was as the bearing wore out, the roller needles were
"liberated" from the cage, and found their way inwards, to the
space between the O.D of the shaft, and the I.D. of the layshaft
gear.  The subsequent pieces were then pulverized, and went every
where, as metal flakes.  From up to the input shaft's front bearing,
to even the rear tailsock bearing! Except for wasting the shaft, and
scoring the gear, the flakes really didn't do much other harm.

  What problably is wrong with your tranny is that the layshaft's
bearings are in pieces, and they are wedging themselves in the small
space between the O.D. of the shaft, and the I.D. of the gear.  I
would guarantee this to be the case if you could hear an audible
grinding/crunching/"roller bearing" sound (when in neutral with the
clutch out) before you tore apart the gearbox.

  As for solutuions, I'm sorry I can't offer much, except one.  Remove
the thrust washers, the front one is tough, and tap the shaft back and
forth, to try to get the needle rollers to fall out.  This is done, of
course, with the tranny stood up on end, so they will fall out.

  Good luck, and tell me/us how you finally do acomplish this task,

                           JOE IV
                           TR 250
                      WALLINGFORD, CT. USA