Re: FW: TR3A VIN?

To: KARIN SUGGITT <ksuggitt@bmts.com>
Subject: Re: FW: TR3A VIN?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 14:42:18 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, KARIN SUGGITT <ksuggitt@bmts.com> wrote:

> I own what I believe is a 1960 TR3A,  however it has an unusual VIN
> plate.  It is orange in colour and is stamped in raised letters "TRIUMPH
>   STC  60 ".  It is riveted to the left bulkhead where the normal VIN
> plate would be. The VIN plate appears original as it is has original
> paint underneath and  three later colours on top. Additional serial
> numbers are  1052998, EB47764, engine # is TS48133E, OD transmission is
> 301039.  Anybody know what I have?

I was hoping someone else would answer this first, because I've always
been curious about those "STC" plates.

Unfortunately, that definitely is NOT the original Commission (VIN) number
plate. I suspect these might have been plates added by or on behalf of
certain Distributors of Triumph cars. Anyone know more about these?

BTW, the Commission number plate should appear on the RIGHT side of the
bulkhead (although it would be left if you're facing it from the front of
the car).

>From the other numbers you've given, I'd guess that your car's original
commission number likely was something like TS 47xxxL (x=digit) or perhaps
TS 47xxxLO (the last letter for Overdrive) if the OD transmission is
original to the car. Commission numbers on these cars often ran around 300
lower than the engine number, and sometimes around 1500-2000 higher than
body numbers.

At any rate, you probably have a TR3A built sometime in calendar year
1959. It easily could have sat around long enough to have been retitled as
a 1960 before selling for the first time.

I think it is possible to give the numbers you have to British Motor
Industry Heritage Trust and have them "backtrack" to find you the original
commission number. It might cost more than a search by Commission number,
though. Sorry, I don't have the address handy at the moment, but you can
get to their Web site from VTR's Web site: <http://www.vtr.org>.

Hope this will help, and I'm also hoping someone knows more about those
"STC" plates!

--Andy