[npenney@erols.com: Re: Overdrive swapping]

To: triumphs
Subject: [npenney@erols.com: Re: Overdrive swapping]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:25:56 -0700 (MST)
This was sent to the wrong address, rather than triumphs@autox.team.net

mjb.
----

     Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:42:17 -0800
     From: nolan penney <npenney@erols.com>
     Subject: Re:  Overdrive swapping

>The MKIV has the original 1300cc in excellent shape and 4 speed, no
>overdrive. The 1500 has a Type J overdrive and a bad motor.
>The MKIV spins over 4500 rpm at 60mph and needs an overdrive.  I cannot
>find a Type-D for a reasonable price, either attached to a tranny or no.

My father has done the swap of a 1500 od transmission up against an
earlier 1300 engine (think it was a 1300, may have been earlier
actually).  Cost him under a $100 for the machine shop work.  All I can
remember is he had to have the driveshaft shortened, and I think there
was something about the input shaft, but I don't recall.  If you want,
I'll give him a ring and ask.