Spit oil filters revisited (& coolant drainage / flush)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit oil filters revisited (& coolant drainage / flush)
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:30:57 -0800
Cc: joe-schneider@nwu.edu
Worldly Scions,
Joe Schneider writes:

> 1) OK, I'm interested in flushing the cooling system on my recently
> acquired 76 Spit 1500, the Bentley says remove the coolant drain plug from
> the block, the picture does not give a clue where it is, can anyone tell me
> which side of the block it's on, I'd probably be miles ahead just with that
> knowledge

It's on the manifold side of the motor, near the back.  A 3/4" socket
wrench is the weapon of choice at my house.  It will be necessary
to also remove the bottom radiator hose to fully drain the coolant.

> 2) I'm going to reinstall an air pump (removed by one of the 3 previous
> owners) to try to get past Cook County smog test with the Weber DCOE that's
> in place, and I saw something recently on this list about spin on oil
> filters, some that would fit without air pump but not with pump, what
> filters work with air pump in place on my Spit 1500?

Short answer: AC PF-53 will work. (if you have the right adapter)

Long answer:  I did a little research prompted by the recent discussion
on this list.  Out of the 4 spit motors I have, 3 had an adapter which
was
5/8" X 3/4".  The larger end of the adapter mates with the oil filter.
This
adapter will work with several filters (more on this below).  The one
remaining
motor had an adapter that was 5/8" on both ends.  I have no idea what
filters
might fit this adapter.

I then went to the local Auto Zone parts store are asked if they had an
oil
filter that would fit a '78 Triumph Spitfire.  The store clerk gave me
that
sort of blank look that they get when you mention Triumph, but keyed the
car
model into his computer.  "Is that with the adapter or without adapter?"
he
asks.  Resisting the temptation to say "which adapter", I tell him to
try the
"without adapter".  He consults the computer again, "No we don't have
any that
will work without the adapter" he tells me.  OK, let's try "with".  He
then
tells me that Deutch D-400 is the part I need.  I bought one and a
couple of
PF-53s and Motorcraft FL-1As for my other vehicles.  Results (at last)
are:

Any of these filters will work if you have the 3/4" adapter.  The PF-53
will
work on later cars with an air pump.  Filter size is 3" dia. 3 & 1/2"
long.
The Deutch D-400 is 3 & 3/4 dia. 3 &3/4" long.  It will probably fit if
you
have an air pump but it's tight.  If you have a bolt facing the wrong
way it
may not fit.  The FL1-A is 3 & 3/4" dia. and 5" long.  A good choice for
earlier
cars (wish I could use it) but it's too big for a car with air pump.
All of
these filters have the same size/thread fitting hole, and the rubber
ring is
the same.  The Wix 51084 also fits the same adapter and has the integral
anti-
drain valve.  I would estimate it is about 3 & 3/4" dia. making it a
tight fit
with an air pump.  I've got one fitted to a car w/pump, but the car is
tucked
away in the corner of the garage and difficult to get at for
measurements.

--
Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____      s1500@worldnet.att.net
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0->     s1500@aol.com