TR-6 Thrust washers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-6 Thrust washers
From: Hugh Barber <piglet@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 19:45:03 -0800
As a long-time TR owner (first car was a '70 spitfire) who has owned my
current '73 TR-6 for the past 12 years, I have always wondered why the
factory used separate thrust washers in the TR engines.  It seems that the
rest of the world uses a main bearing/thrust washer one piece unit.
So..... the question is - why does'nt somebody (Moss, TRF, et al) come up
with a one piece conversion for the TR.  It would seem to be a simple
change on the upper bearing shell and with some very simple machining to
the bearing cap, the lower bearing shell could use one as well (just like
the rest of the world).  Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems so
simple and it would do away with the "washers-in-bottom-of-pan/engine block
and crank ruined" problem.

Hugh Barber
Santa Clara, CA
'73 TR-6