Synchro Answers and Shifting Without the Clutch

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Synchro Answers and Shifting Without the Clutch
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:58:26 -0500
To All Concerned,

    Thank you, Bill Kelly and Barry Schwartz.  I now fully under-
stand the internal workings of a TR transmission.  I would have
been able to rebuild my tranny without knowing or understanding
every thing, theoretical or actual (i.e. measure this, shim that,
reading the manual, and not giving a second thought to why or what
I was doing all this), but not me.   I HAVE to know why, and that
is why I do this hobby, as a learning experience. And besides I
really dislike the kind of people who through out all sorts of
opinions and stories without really fully understanding what they
are saying, and as such, don't want to be one of these.

   I now know why a person can shift without using a clutch, for in-
stance.  (because the sychros have those internal cones that adjust
the speed of counter shaft to main shaft)  And why, when doing so,
one must shift "slowly", I am quoting Bob Lang, who versed me on
this procedure. (this way the internal cones have enough time to
drag the gear & counter shaft up to speed)

   And also it was pointed out to me, when you shift (even using the
clutch) too quickly, what happens.  I always thought it was the
larger gears crunching, but I've been taught, and it stands to rea-
son, that it is the engagement hub "trying" to mesh with all those
tiny little dog teeth on the gear. Since the larger gears are always
in mesh, they can't crunch.

   I already know a lot about engine theory/practice workings, so
the only thing left is differentials.  But I'll wait until I have
to rebuild before I worry about that pandora's box of mystery....

   Slowly, I'm learning all there is to know....

                           JOE IV
                           TR 250
                    WALLINGFORD, CT. USA