Re TR6 Squat

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re TR6 Squat
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 17:21:05 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I know a bit about this issue.

The easiest way to reduce squat is with stiffer springs. However I might
add that your comments indicate that the static height of the rear of the
cars seems too low to you. Is that correct? The reason I ask is that
TR6's have a habit of "squatting" even lower than the static height under
hard acceleration.

At any rate, there are 3 different types of shackles that Triumph used
for TR6 ride height adjustment. The different parts are easily identified
by notches on the parts, there are one-notch, two-notch and three-notch
pieces available.

Now, given both the correct shackles and the proper springs for your
application, you can achieve an increase in ride height. Once you get
that, you can add spacers under the rear coil springs and/or adjust the
alignment shims to change rear camber.

There was a really great article in the Moss newsletter back around
September '94 or so that covered this topic in detail.

As for the comments about camber, I'd like to point out that .5 degress
of static positive camber will produce zero to slightly negative camber
when you add passengers and "stuff" in the boot.

Dave Hogenbush at TRF told me that he does not like a lot of negative
camber in the back of TR6's, and he feels that excessive negative camber
will increase bearing wear on the outer axle stubs. I believe he may be
correct, but if you want the car handle really well, you do not want
static positive  camber.

I run my car as low as it'll go and it handles "real good". I have the
Moss competition springs all around. The static height of those springs
are much lower than the ones that TRF and TS Imported sell. They are at
least one inch shorter.

If anyone is interested, I'll try to find the Moss article and relay the
info here. It was the best description of the TR6 rear suspension setup
that I have seen to date.

By the way, if you do change the springs and shackles back there, make
sure you get a good 4-wheel alignment done at a competent shop before you
drive it around too much. If you don't, it is very likely that you will
be doing excessive wear on your tires!!

Also look for worn stuff back there. If the trailing arm bushings are shot,
that'll really screw things up, alignment wise.

That's all for now,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Never enough.