Vintage license plates

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Vintage license plates
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Mar 97 11:47:17 EST
        My thanks to whoever it was that mentioned the license plate restorer
"Darryl's" of Duryea, PA, in a recent thread. Although he didn't have a set of
1968 Virginia plates, he put me in touch with a gentleman who did: Wayne Tyler,
(804) 749-4641. Wayne sold me a set of NOS plates for $45 (he had three
consecutive numbers to choose from!). He also has plates that have been mounted
and used for $30 a set.

        A word about Virginia plates that might be useful to someone: although
they aren't eager to tell you about it at DMV, it is possible to register your
25+ year-old car without a front license plate. You need only obtain a set of
vintage plates from your car's year of manufacture and bring them to DMV. You
can choose between an "antique" registration (severely restricted use, no
expiration sticker on tab, no inspection required) and an ordinary
"unrestricted" registration (unlimited use, expiration and annual renewal,
annual safety inspection, smog inspection some counties). With _either_ form of
registration, you are required to use the front plate only if the car was
originally equipped with a front bracket. My Delaware-delivered TR250 has no
bracket. Caution: they will probably require you to produce two matching plates
to get the registration, even if you plan to mount only one.

        Cancel my earlier request for help in locating a front plate bracket,
which no one responded to anyway...

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic
        CD 3574L