BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [Jim Boyd

To: triumphs
Subject: BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net: Non-member submission from [Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 03:28:57 -0700 (MST)
     Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 07:21:23 -0800
     From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
     Subject: Re: Rescue a TR6??

Hey Martin:

TAKE HOME MESSAGE:  If you love the car, can afford the price, go for it!
But I alwys advise others to buy the ~best~ car you can afford!  If you have
interest it how I acquired a '73 TR6, then read on! (lengthy!).

I'm in the same spot that you are considering with the TR6!  I've wanted a
TR6 since 1976 when my cousin offered to sell me his '71 6 but I couldn't
get the bucks together for the purchase.

Having restored several MGBs, I thought that perhaps it was time to begin
the search for an ~affordable~ TR6.  Especially after several TR6s beat my
MGB GT in a local autocross!  Problems:  very few 6s available in Northern
CA in my price range ($1,000 to $1,800) and , most importantly,  I had more
time than money!

Reader's Digest version, I came across a '73 TR6 that had been hit on the
front/left side.  A replacement fibreglass fender was "hanging" there, but
had never been actually installed.  The front valance was completely
shot...wrinkled to the max.  Soft top shot, carpet worn out, tach missing, 4
American mags in place (very nice!), frame OK, trailing arms OK, Koni shocks
up front, oversize sway bar. =20

Car was originally Black Tulip (purple), although had been resprayed dark
BRG.  Car probably looked great in the BRG, but scratches in the paint
revealed the original purple...not a pretty sight.  The car was owned by a
wrecking yard, although located "off site"  in a location that would have
never been found if someone didn't ask!   I asked the wrecking yard owner
what it would take to get the car running.  "Oh, just some gas and a
battery...I'm sure it will start right up," he said!  I've heard THAT one
before, so I proceeded with a bit of skepticism.

The key was still in the ignition (a good sign).  I added a battery and some
gas to the car.  Believe it or not, the first crank of the engine, it fired
up!  (Later I learned that the rear Stromberg carb was gummed up with
varnish from old gas and had not even been working during my test!)  Also in
hindsight, I should have cranked the engine over several times to build up
oil pressure before actually starting the car.  I just never ~really
believed~ that the car would start!  Good, even compression in all six
cylinders.  Overdrive!

The owner was asking $1200 for the car.  Some hassles were imminent with
Nevada license, etc.  Finally purchased for $800 and made payments over 6
months.  He even moved it to inside storage after I began to give him money,
so it (thankfully) missed all the recent CA flooding.

The car is now in the shop and I'm working on getting it back on the road.
I have also removed all the trunk contents, since I had the gas tank out
already.  I shot it yesterday with 2 part epoxy primer and will test out my
paint colour here first!

I just hat to see these great cars rotting away when they could be giving
someone a lot of fun.  The problem I usually run into is that the previous
owner thinks the car like this 6 I just purchased is really worth $4,000.
They just aren't willing to do a reality check, so the car sits and sits.

Hope this offers you some encouragement!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA