RE: GT6 rear ends

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: GT6 rear ends
From: Ljbtvr@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 00:27:04 -0500 (EST)
If you can lay your hands on a camber compensator it will improve a swing
axle setup. However, I looked for one for 8 years (76-84) before I finally
found one that was incomplete.  I had to manufacture some of the pieces
myself.  Somewhere in that time period I changed the spring to a de-arched
(to lower the car) 1500 Spitfire spring.

I had also looked into changing to rotoflex setup on my Mk I but rejected
it because of the complication.  I was autocrossing the car at the time on
race tires which put a lot of strain on the whole assembly.  First thing to
break were the 3/8 wheel studs.  I changed these to 7/16 Chevy studs.
Next was the key at the hub/axle connection.  Replaced that twice.  Finally,
the axle broke at the hub and a wheel came off.  I decided to spring for the
$500 a pair of Summit axles cost at the time.  These use the stock
upright/bearing carrier and slip through from the outside in. The hub/axle is
all one piece and the inner end is splined to a larger universal joint.  I've
had
no probems there since and hillclimbed the car from 84-88.

Larry Bickel
ljbtvr@aol.com
Lancaster, PA
'68 GT6, my racer
'71 TVR 2500 (TR6 driveline), my street car and sometimes racer