Re: Bolt patterns, etc.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bolt patterns, etc.
From: Scott Kohl <GT6@wvi.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 15:29:15 -0800
Hi all.
The offset concept may or may not be familiar to everyone.  Typically,
us Americans use Back Spacing.  This is the measurement from the wheel
mounting surface to the inner edge of the wheel.  Offset, as Barry said,
references the mounting surface to the center line of the wheel.
Personally, for comparison purposes, it's easier to use backspace, no
calculations involved (easy in a breaker's yard also, just take a
"straightedge" and a tape).
BTW, Chris Kantarjiev mentioned a four-inch backspace as being the most
you can get away with an a GT6+, using a 6" rim.  This translates to a
25mm positive offset, which is the TR7 alloy offset (I think).  Positive
offset is when the mounting surface is toward the outside of the car,
with respect to the center line.  You can adjust the offset minutely
with spacers, but you should'nt exceed 1/2" change from stock if at all
possible.
I am also the "someone" who mentioned period 5.5" or 6" alloy wheels.  I
have never liked the Minilite style, certainly not enough for the amount
they want for Panasports.  They are only 13", besides.  The Kaizer
wheels that Chris K. uses are available in a 15" x 6", with the correct
bolt pattern and backspace/offset, for approx. $165 each.  If I'm not
mistaken, Pana's are close on $200 each.  In my case, I was lucky enough
to locate a set of period 5" x 13" American Racing 'Libre' ("coke
bottle") mags.  I love their look, but 13" again (!?).

Cheers

Scott Kohl
'69 GT6+