Re: GT6's at LeMans

To: aa372@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca
Subject: Re: GT6's at LeMans
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:43:04 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

Couple of things.

Even though the GT6 probably would not have "kept up with the big boys",
the LeMans event also had awards for "index of performance", and lots of
small bore cars would  do comparatively well against the Ferraris and
Porsches etc. As for the swing axle setup, the '65 Spitfire Triumph works
entries were swing-arm, and they corner pretty darn well from the videos
I have seen of that event. In fact, I'd venture to say that in a couple
of the shots the Spitfires had higher speeds in the corners than some of
the big bore cars.

At any rate, my comments really have to do with vidoes of Triumphs.

I have seen Triumphs at Sebring, in fact I taped it from Speedvision.
That particular film is about the '63 or '64 Sebring, and the cars that
were entered were TR4's. It's a really great film, by the way.

I have seen a film about the '65 Sebring, and it looks like the LeMans
Spitfires were at that event. That was the one with the amazing rains,
and there is very little footage of the Spitfire.

Now, there is another film called Triumphs at Lemans. This was the '65
LeMans and the factory backed Spitfires. Great film, lots of good shots
of the folks sliding the cars around. Highlights, Triumphs changing the
oil coolers during a stop. Paddy Hopkirk doing a really intense
4-wheel-drift in an MGB. The Rover Turbine car. David Hobbs driving one
of the Factory Spitfires!

Both Triumphs at Sebring and Triumphs at LeMans were films commisioned by
Standard Triumph. So, there's lots of shots of the Spitfires.

I think Classic Motorbooks has the Triumphs at Lemans and Triumphs at
Sebring. Like I said, I taped the shows from Speedvision TV network.

regards,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? A few.