new TR2/3 water pumps

To: tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net, rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu, mbarre@juno.com
Subject: new TR2/3 water pumps
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 09:54:17 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Doug, John, Matt

First the bad news.  My new AE pump does not have a grease nipple. As I
described in my E-mail last night, what I had seen thorough the AE Logoed
plastic bag was the weep hole.  I apologize for any emotional crashes I may
have cause upon receipt of this letter.

The good news is that my source, Kieth Thompson of Realey Healey,
201-772-9547 did tell me he could get a bunch more of these from a local
warehouse he deals with.  Let me fully describe them, keeping in mind I have
no basis for comparison, other than with non-Triumph water pumps (GM, SAAB,
TRW rebuilds, etc.)  Also, no interest in Kieth or his company.

It is a nice clean casting,;the machining is also neat and clean.  The pump
came in a sealed AE logoed bag and box with directions (Wow) and a gasket.
The pump shaft is keyed, including the key and a nylock nut, with washer, as
I recall. From what I have heard on the list the seal circlip etc. is
standard fare.  It appears that there is a casting boss, large enough to
allow for a grease fitting/drilling to get to the bearing, but perhaps
(careful, this is only my conjecture) they eliminated the grease fitting
with the introduction of better quality components that can live without the
periodic grease shot?

In short, this new AE water pump looks like what a new water pump should
look like, except there is no F'in grease fitting.

I just spoke with Kieth to let him know I didn't have the fitting and that
he would get some calls about the pumps.  When I let him know the pump
didn't have a grease fitting there was a very long silence on the phone.  He
will be pursuing his supplier to determine where the confusion occured to
believe these pumps had the grease fitting.  If I know anything before noon,
when I leave for snowy Vermont for a weekend of telemark skiing frivolity, I
will let you know.

I will probably bring my laptop this weekend so if there is a voice mail
about the pumps from Kieth later today, I can get the message to you.  Now
if I just had a cellular satellite link through my laptop...........  Yeah,
I could sell all that overpriced electronics and buy a few more LBC's.

BTW - if you have any pressing questions, problems or bitching at my not
fully checking out my parts before I got to installation, use my home E-mail
address, JIBrooks@Juno.com, after noon today, Friday.

Much later, it's a ski weekend!

Jack Br@@ks
      \__/