Re: Spit oil filters ( & gas mileage)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, dmitchel@ford.com
Subject: Re: Spit oil filters ( & gas mileage)
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 21:34:32 -0800
Worldy Scions,

Doug Mitchell writes:

> OK, I have heard enough. If this is the adapter of which I am thinking,
> any of the FL1-A/equivalent filters will work. I have been using these
> on my Spit for nearly 20 years. You used to get the adapter when you
> boought the World Part filter.

This has to be too good to be true.  I would be able to use just one oil
filter on all my cars.  74 Comet, 86 F150, 93 Saturn, (2)'78 Spitfires.
I just took a look in the garage and as luck would have it, there was
not a single filter on the shelf.  I tend to buy large quantities of oil
filters when I can find them at a good price so I'll take my trusty (or
is that rusty?) Spit oil filter adapter down to the parts store and
investigate this weekend.  I know that the Motorcraft FL1-A filter body
is too large to fit on a later model Spit with an air pump.  For this
application I use an AC PF-53 (also fits Saturn) or Wix 51084 (tight
fit with Spit air pump) Both require (& don't come with) the infamous
"adaptor".

wrt Spit Gas Mileage. ('78 Spit)
I've been tracking my MPG with a computer program for the last 7 years.
ISTR my mileage being a little better when the Spit was new but I have
no data from then, just rose coloured spectacles ;-)
Anyway, the data summary:

Non OD with ZS 150 "autochoke" carb - 23 city - 30 highway
Non OD with ZS 150 "manual choke" carb - 25 city - 33 highway
(this is a stock carb for a MKIV 1300 motor maybe jetted differently?)
The car with OD does about the same in the city but gets 35-37 highway
with liberal use of the OD.
Same cars with single Weber 45DCOE - 15 city - 18 highway
(This carb demands a more spirited approach to driving =:-O)
I'll have to wait for a couple of weeks to see how the dual HS4s do

--
Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____      s1500@worldnet.att.net
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0->     s1500@aol.com