RE: TR6 Diagnosis

To: JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Diagnosis
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 13:36:43 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Carol and all,

If you have the money, going with a rebuilt tranny is probably "the right
thing to do". If you are really stingy, like me, then an alternative
course of action would be to find a used tranny from one of the british
parts places and just throw it in. I've done that at least once with my
TR6, probably got 40K miles out of the "box", and I only paid $75 for the
tranny and $50 for a Triumph nut to install it. Pretty good service, IMHO.

Later, when I had the time, I rebuilt that box. After at least 40K miles
in my car and an unknown number of miles in the "donor car", I just
needed the parts from a TRF "complete rebuild kit" plus a "top hat
bushing". In other words, it cost under $250 to rebuild it. Of course I
don't charge myself for my labor ;-).

Another alternative is to shop around a bit for a rebuilt gearbox,
there's a guy on the East Coast (in CT somewhere) named John Esposito and
his business is called Quantum Mechanics. He charges something like $650
for a rebuilt unit with a guarantee. Money well spent, and John knows his
stuff. If I wasn't into doing my own work, I would not hesitate to use
his services.

Of course, I have no idea what was wrong with your gearbox, but TR6 boxes
are pretty robust and unless you really disintigrated some parts in
there, a lot of those parts are reusable. If your mechanics insist that
the box is trashed, you might still be able to get something for the
carcass... just a thought.

Good luck!
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Just a few. There may be more on
the horizon, though.