lever shocks

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: lever shocks
From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:10:44 PST
Here is one that I haven't seen on the list before:  I know Apple
rebuilds lever shocks but except for a slow leak where the lever shaft
enters the shock they are fine.  I cleaned them up and refilled them
with the proper oil but they suffer from a little static seepage.  I
wonder if this will get worse when the TR3A gets back on the road (bare
chassis now) or if the seal will reseat?

My question is has anyone tried to replace this seal before?  Our club
mechanic who often has to repair components that simply don't have spare
parts any more (like a 1925 Moon recently) feels sure that the local bearing &
seal house can come up with a suitable replacement seal.  I am just
worried that misguided attempts to do so could render the shock unrebuildable.

I remember an article in Grassroots Motorsports a good while back about
some of the racers tinkering with the shocks.  ISTR one of their tricks
was to adjust the firmness of the shock by using thicker oil - maxing
out with STP for that rock hard ride!
TIA,
mrb