Re: STANPART

To: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>
Subject: Re: STANPART
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:13:12 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Doug Mathews wrote:

> with the recent comments on the trannies and someone mentioned that one of
> them had the word "STANPART" on it, I've at least one extra tranny that has
> that on it also. I've assumed that it was a factory part that replaced an
> original, but I do not know for sure if that is the case. Logic, I know not
> necessarily applicable, says why build the cases for parts different than
> those originally installed....
>
> Any historians have information?

"STANPART" is to [Standard-]Triumph as MoPar is to Chrysler, Motorcraft,
et.al., are to Ford, or Harrison, Delco, etc., are to General Motors.
STANPART eventually disappeared somewhat as UNIPART took over under the
British Leyland umbrella.

STANPART parts ARE the original (and factory replacment) parts for
Triumphs, and you'll see that cast or stamped into engine blocks,
transmission cases, trunnions, other suspension pieces and various other
parts actually made by Triumph or for Triumph in the case of wholly
owned subsidiaries such as Alford & Alder (front suspension stuff, some of
whose products for Triumph carried a STANPART label, others of which
carried an A & A monogram).

Most of the proprietary suppliers, such as Lucas and Girling, had their
own names on their respective bits.

Not to worry, STANPART is the "genuine" article!

--Andy