Re: Frame Paint

To: "David Brady" <dmb@cisco.com> (Return requested), "Ken Streeter" <streeter@sanders.com> (Return requested)
Subject: Re: Frame Paint
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 03 Mar 1997 18:48:47 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "triumph mail exploder" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 05978331B8D8F004-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 03 Mar 1997 18:48:47 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 03 Mar 1997 18:48:47 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <05978331B8D8F004*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Ken Streeter wrote:

[snip]David Brady wrote:

> I've been hearing that Hammerite may not be the
> best choice for frame paint because its a bit
> brittle and stones, debris, etc may chip it. Any
> other suggestions on a tough-as-nails paint to
> be used on the chassis?

I have generally heard that the best method of having the frame, suspension
components, etc., "painted" is to have them powder-coated.  This
results in a pretty finish that is very hard, wears well, and is permanently
attached to the frame.I have never had this done myself, but have examined
suspension components and test panels that were coated with this stuff.  I
was duly impressed.
Sorry Ken, I've gotten to know you and like you over the last year and a
half, but.........
AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!  Are you NUTS!  Do you have any idea of how much it costs
to have an entire frame "properly" powder coated??!!

Okay, now that that's out of my system.....  actually, you have a wonderful
idea but my God man, that's one Hellova pricey way to protect a frame.  I
would have to agree with others who suggested POR-15, and other products
specially developed for this purpose.  I used a 2 part Dupont product on my
frame called...... (ah, sh_t - I can't remember - I'll check the garage
tonight) Anyways, I am again sorry for going "gaagaa" on you.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe