General : Flushing of oil with kerosene?

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: General : Flushing of oil with kerosene?
From: "M. V. Morelli" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:49:38 -0600
Good day cyberists,

A general engine question.  I'm thinking of picking up another vehicle, one
which has not been started in 4 to 6 years.  It was running when parked but was
not prepped for long term storage (but has been indoors).  I'm gona work with
the owner try to get the engine running before buying it.  I've been told that
I should change the oil/filter before giving it a crank (...pull the plugs,
drip some oil into the cylinders, and crank for a while to lube everything up -
then put the plugs back in and .....).

The recipe continues as follows:
1) after getting the engine started (as optimistic as that may be), drain the
oil and fill up the oil reservoir with kerosene
2) run the engine for 30 sec. to a 1 minute at idle
3) drain the kerosene along with all the crappy oil sludge and sediments it
devolved
4) fill with oil again, put on new filter
5) change oil/filter again after 1k miles....

My question is this -- KEROSENE!?!?!?  I've not heard of this before and was
wondering what the collective wisdom of the group might have to say about it.
What risks does this pose to the engine? -- to me?  Chances are the engine will
need to be rebuilt -- but again maybe not immediately.  Will this treatment
help or hurt the situation?  Is it recommend?  Has anyone had first hand
experience with this procedure?

Thanks for any comments, cautions, criticisms, or encouragement.

Mike Morelli
Houston, TX
morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov