Measurements and Questions.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net ("'Triumph List'")
Subject: Measurements and Questions.
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 8:17:58 -0500
Hey All,

        Well I got the appropriate measure device (Micrometer?) from drafting
and went to working measuring various engine parts.  Here is the
brakedown

Cam lob height  34.5mm
Cam Journal     46.74mm

Crank Main Journal      58.70-58.75mm
Crank Pin (Conrod)      47.64-47.66mm

Cylinder Bores  74.68-74.69mm

Cylinder measurements
#1 Top          74.26mm
      Bottom            74.63mm

#2 Top          74.27mm
      Bottom            74.58mm

#3 Top          74.23mm
      Bottom            74.60mm

#4 Top          74.21mm
      Bottom            74.62mm

#5 Top          74.25mm
      Bottom            74.61mm

#6 Top          74.25mm
      Bottom            74.57mm

Thrust Washers  #1 2.28
                #2 2.35

Oil pump was in spec.

        Now for the questions.  According to the values in the Bently manual my
pistons are undersized at the top, but ok at the bottom.  What is the
deal with this?

        I intend to replace the Thrust washers but I want to know if I'm
replacing an oversized washer.  what is the right measurement for a
standard thrust washer?

        Also I have an odd piston.  Piston 1,2,3,5,and 6 all have their number
stamped at the top, on the conrod, and on the bottom of the conrod.  They
also have an 'A' stamped on the top of the piston next to the piston
number.  However Piston #4 has 'STD' stamped on the top, a '3' on the
conrod, and no number stamped on the bottom of the conrod.  #4 piston
also has two wholes on each side near the conrod pin.  Also the
'S-shaped' compression ring (I think that is the correct name) is not the
same as on the other pistons.  Any clue as to what I am looking at here?

        How do may camshaft measurements look?

        I measured the frame and all looks well except for the drivers side
turret.  It seems to be pushed in about .75 inch, but no visible signs of
damage?

Later,
JHD IV