Spifire Hub Removal

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Spifire Hub Removal
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 24 Oct 1996 08:09:10 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 08738326F8696002-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <08738326F8696002*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Wanted to pass along another tip that I recall from an earlier thread on
this subject.

One thing I did not try, but which might work fairly well is a combination
of a hydraulic press at a machine shop with lots of heat.  As I mentioned, I
used a big old gear puller, but it seems to me that the first combo would
work even better and quicker, with less likelihood of damage (read
"warpage") of the hub.  Of course, you'll have to find  a machine shop owner
who'll let you stand there with an ox-acetylene torch blazing away on the
hub while the press is operating.  Hmmmm, on second thought that might be a
tough pull.  (no pun intended).

Once Ralph gets the hubs off (sweating and cursing all the way) he needs to
re-install them later.  There was an excellent thread for a while on the
virtues of using "loc-tite" versus an anti-seize compound on the axle and
hub for re-assembly.  On my Spit, I considered the pros and cons of both
products and decided to simply reinstall them per the factory with no
loc-tite.

If you think about it, anti-seize is the last thing you want because without
a friction fitting all of the torsional forces would have to go through that
tiny little woodruff key, which doesn't seem right.  OTOH, loc-tite seems
like a good idea, until I need to remove the hub again (hopefully never).
 So, installed them per factory spec. with no additive and so far she's a
rolling just fine.  Cheers,

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)