Imports,Customs,RIPOFFS

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Imports,Customs,RIPOFFS
From: Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bns.com.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:56:03 +1030
Hi in all our efforts to reek anarchy on the system not much works the
people at customs are not idiots But they do seem to take perverse delight
in extracting all the money they can out of you! a few ways to minimize the
problem follow:
1 do not allow parcels to be shipped by a carrier such as UPS etc. they
deduct tax for the system + add their own charges on top.
2 get small qty's of goods sent at one time.
3 use surface mail only
4 have a relative buy and repackage, hopefully will slip through system.
esp.if they rewrite prices or  claim the items are secondhand.
 in relation to #4 are there any members in the UK who wish to become
honourary uncles etc.?? please contact me. pays not good, short hours,get to
recieve Xmass card, visitors if I ever win the lottery. oh that last part
put you off did it.
5 you forgot the extra 2.5% customs adds to the total to make up the total
amount closer to retailprices in actual fact the total customs,sales-tax,
extra's bring it closer to 55%.
But it's still cheaper than over the counter here eg. I just did a rush job
on the diff  all the bearings etc. at cost trade, were still more than 2
sets from Kippings cost me.
If you can afford a triumph and need spares you must be a filthy rich
capitalistic pig according to customs :-)
 not only do I need a spell check I need a grammer check
If there are any lurkers out there needing Triumph parts in Aust lets get
together and organize a container from the UK full of parts shared costs
what doe's anyone think of this idea
Tony   ADELAIDE
Ps (just in case they are watching); I love customs workers