Re: Herald Engine<961023022250_1712274655@emout10.mail.aol.com>

To: MARGHERITA@aol.com
Subject: Re: Herald Engine<961023022250_1712274655@emout10.mail.aol.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:41:50 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Hello

>As for the engine number, It sure looks like an capital I to me. But
>whatever, its all stock. And I'm told the engine was rebuilt  shortly before
>it was stored. I think it's a 1200
>It has the single intake manifold. Wasn't it changed to the double intakes in
>the 12/50?

Pardon! Do you mean twin carbs, if so then no, the 12/50 still had the single
downdraft solex, but a different(longer) manifold(Am I right Andy??) :-)

>As to restorability, the usual Herald advice applies. If the chassis is
>>sound, go for it. Yes, convertibles are more desirable and (arguably)
>>more fun and valuable, there's much to be said in defense of the sedan.
>>It's much roomier in the back, it's a bit more weathertight than a
>>convertible, and (in the U.S.) it's a much scarcer car. Convertibles
>>outsold sedans by as much as 5:1 or more in the later years of Herald
>>imports in the U.S.

>I'm seriously tempted to make the saloon driveable. A big factor is getting
>it to run.  I hope to get in running this weekend. The body is solid. After
>I'm done swaping parts with my conv. I will still have a complete saloon. I
>needs a rear center Valence and overriders.

They are available NEW over here, whats the parts situation like there?

>Here's a question, I want to swap the doors. I see that the windows are
>different between the two  and that the conv. doors have extra hardware above
>the door latches. Can I swap the doors provided I use the same windows?

The saloon doors should have the two little dimples where the holes go for the
convertible door anti-burst catches(obviously NOT drilled though), fit these
and change the door glass and everything will fit fine.

Good Luck

Rich
England.