TR6 OD and Clutch

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 OD and Clutch
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:55:40 -0600
Encoding: 19 TEXT
There has been some discussion lately about whether or not the clutch should be
disengaged when the OD is switched on or off. Most replies I've had suggest
that the clutch is not required for the OD to be engaged.

Actually I knew this already, however...my question regarding this was more
from the perspective of whether it is easier on the drivetrain (clutch
included) to use the clutch when engaging/disengaging the OD.

It (OD engagement/disengagement that is) does after all change the engine RPMs
although admittedly not as much as the actual shifting of the gearbox does. And
the internal OD clutch handles the gear switch part of the operation.

So any other insights into this? (When I did drive my car 8 years ago I did use
the clutch for most of the OD "shifts").

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
peterz@merak.com