re:GT6+ pistons

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re:GT6+ pistons
From: RACEGT6@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:14:15 -0400
Peter wrote:

     > Anyone on the list have a set of new GT-6 (.020) pistons for sale or
     >barter?  Before I commit to pistons, would welcome advice about best
     >practice...i.e.  the block I am rebuilding (bore, line bore, adding
     >cam bearings, etc. is, I think, from a Mark 3 (KF XXXX number on
     >block)...but on disassembly found flat top pistons, not domed.  Vicky
     >Brit catalogs suggest that Mark 3 pistons should be domed...course
     >they also say that the later models had higher compression than the
     >Mark 2s...which other readings suggest is wrong.

 KE/KF series blocks were used on both the MKII (GT6 + ) and MKIII.  I'd bet

 that you have the correct engine or possibly an early MKIII.  Check your
 #"s:

   to KE/KF 10000 = flat top pistons (MKII/early MKIII)
   from KE/KF 10001 = domed pistons

     >My quandry is that I believe the dome top pistons would give a higher
     >compression ratio (all other things being equal) but I am uncertain
     >about clearance from the valves after milling the head...am I better
     >off to use flat top pistons and get the higher compression by milling
     >or is there some performance improvement associated with the shape of
     >the dome tops???

 Keep it simple - stay with the flat tops! Later GT-6 MKIII's (starting
sometime in
 1972) had recessed blocks, a different head, head gasket, and the domed
pistons.
 You cannot successfully mix & match components.

 I am currently building two full race 1.9 engines - one is a ' 69 and the
other is the
 ' 71 that was original in my car. Engines are identical. BTW, there have
been some
 wild configurations w/specially forged dome pistons for these two marques,
but
 would advise against this practice.

     >Depending on the responses to these questions, I am in the market for
     >a set of pistons...

 Well, I am considering selling a set of brand new, in the box AE flat tops
+.030"
 Will know this weekend when I get my final quote on the machining work being

 done  to the aforementioned engines.....

 Charlie
 racegt6@aol.com
  71 GT6 D prod.  AKA "le moneypit" :->
  74 TR6   AKA  "le wife's car" ;-)