'73 spit driveshaft

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '73 spit driveshaft
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com (Tom Omalley)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 20:36:00 -0640
Mike writes:

>#1 - Seemingly minor to me, but, i have a single Stromberg (which I am
>hoping to ramp up to dual SU's - or something!) And whenever I check
>dashpot on the carb, its empty, even if I fill it, and just drive
>for a day or so (not continuously) it is empty the next time I have
>checked it. I have re-built the beast, but it didn't seem to help. any
>ideas? I'm sure its a quite common problem, just one I am missing the
>answer to. Thanks.

Yup....very common.  You need to replace that tiny o-ring that goes
'round the needle.  Look in the package of parts you got in the rebuild
kit.

>#2 - This same '73 spitfire has the old style driveline, which connects
>to the read-end yoke using the "slat type" coupling (consisting of 4
>seperate slats put together to connect the back of the drive shaft to
>rear end. These "slats" have all but disentegrated, causing great
>and thus, a dreadful fear of driving the car... With that badly
>explained, my question becomes how difficult would it be to change
>lines to the more modern type (no, i dont have O/D)... Any ideas would
>greatly appreciated...
>Mike

I tried to replace the strap type drive shaft on my '74 1500 with the
later "bean tin" type.  No joy....the later shaft was too short.

My next step is to replace the transmission with the later single-
rail type. <longer tailshaft>

Tom O'Malley
'74, 77 Spits