Re: Spitfire ?'s

To: Mike Downer <miked@exodus.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire ?'s
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 15:15:27 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I have a couple of questions perhaps someone out there could help me
>with.. I have a '73 Spitfire
>#1 - Seemingly minor to me, but, i have a single Stromberg (which I am
>hoping to ramp up to dual SU's - or something!) And whenever I check the
>dashpot on the carb, its empty, even if I fill it, and just drive around
>for a day or so (not continuously) it is empty the next time I have
>checked it. I have re-built the beast, but it didn't seem to help. any
>ideas? I'm sure its a quite common problem, just one I am missing the
>answer to. Thanks.

Mike,
        You're right, it's a fairly common problem that, if you followed
the directions on the rebuild, you would've missed because this isn't
mentioned. Around the needle on the air valve there's this washer. It keeps
the oil from leaking out. This sucker's probably dead. Here are the
instructions for replacing it (Thanks Philip!!!!):

1> Pull the air valve. and remove the set screw which hold the needle.

2> If you have an adjuster, remove the needle by turning the adjuster till
the needle is free.

3> The seal is between the adjuster and the dashpot tube and the adjster is
held in place (at the base of the tube) by a toothed washer. Use a brass or
wooden drift to drive the little sucker down the tube.

4> When it comes out, the O-ring will probably be crisp.

5> Clean everything up real good and put it back togather the way it came
apart. Use the dowl or drift to seat the star washers at the base of the
tube.

6> Make sure the adjuster still rotates. Replace the needle according to
the directions in the kit.

Thanks, Philip Barnes, who wrote me on how to do this. I'm going to do it
tonight after I get back form work. Hope it helps!

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."
1966 Triumph GT6 mk1