Re: spitfire stroberg/gas leak question

To: "rich catena" <rcatena@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: spitfire stroberg/gas leak question
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 15:03:20 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Let me start by saying Iknow nothing about triumphs. i am a total newbie
>and just begining to learn.
>anyway, i looking at a 76 spitfire. the one i time i went to see it (i'm
>planning followup visit) i spotted gas leaking from the area of the carb
>sometime after the owner pulled out the choak but befor the enginine
>started ( ny memory of the actual timing is not clear).
>anyway i asked him about this leak and said it was normal when the carb was
>flooded.
>
>i am skeptical of his answer. any words of wisdom? if go forward with this
>purchase am i looking a carb rebuild for sure?
>
>thanks,

Rich,
        Hey! Welcome to the list! By what I know, this should be no big
deal. If memory serves me right, his answer was correct. All that should be
wrong is the float level. Don't know what that means? ;) There are these
floats in the bowl of the carb which regulate how much fuel can be in the
carb at one time. All that's wrong is that they've bent a lttle and are
allowing too much fuel into the carb.
        About rebuilding. I'm nearly finished with my 150CD Strombergs and
it hasn't been nearly as diffuicult as I anticipated. Get a good manual (a
factory manual if you can find it) and a couple of rebuild kits. If you do
rebuild them, make sure you're comfortable with the tools, diagrams, and
instructions, and REBUILD THEM ONE AT A TIME! You'll get mixed up with the
parts, and some parts are custom fitted to that carb. The only thing is
that your's are probably 175 (someone correct me here if I'm wrong) and
will be a bit more difficult to rebuild because of the extra emissions
stuff on them. I doubt that this would be a serious prob, though.
        Anyway, welcome to the list and I hope you enjoy your Spit!

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."
1966 Triumph GT6 mk1